Pages

Monday 20 May 2013

Family Values.


Who is family? Everyone related to you by blood. 
The meaning according to the Oxford Dictionary is simply parents and children living together.
Everyone should understand the concept of family because we all are part of one, or at least, used to be part of one and probably intend to start one soon or later.

There is always a thought that triggers what I write about.
I come from a closely knitted nuclear family (don’t really relate with the extended arm).  However, I see a continuing generation from this point that would be close to perfect. Not just being together because you popped out from the same womb but being in harmony with one another, being predictable and mutually beneficial to each other for generations unending.

Some weeks back I had an encounter with a family I relate with closely. It was not nice but on the long run, I realized how valuable a good family is.
Still thinking on that, I then remembered the sermon I heard in church that same day ‘Family is God’s Idea’ by Pastor Kenny Folarin.It was a wonderful and soul lifting message.
I decided to wrap up some of my conclusions on it, coupled with my personal thoughts as usual.

When God made man, He made it clear that He expected man to have a family; every one of us should belong to a family. God’s original intention for us was that we have dominion over the earth and this dominion is continually expressed when we multiply.
I’m sure we agree that the concept of family started with Adam and Eve; so what are we then talking about?
The sermon started on how we relate within the family and expatiated to what happens in the society as a whole. The society comprises of multiple units of families. Everyone in the society is part of a family. No man came into existence in isolation. You are linked to one person or the other.
Our actions and conducts in the outside world mirrors the kind of family we came from and it reflects on our parents. Of course there are a few exceptional cases where we have the rebellious child but really we still have to look inward and find out what went wrong somewhere,as there is usually a point in time when it is too late to make corrections; at least not easily.

We cannot talk about the family without talking about marriage. When you see parents that are not at par with each other, especially in the formative years of their kids what do you expect? A defunct upbringing for the child who ends up in the society is expected, including whatever other terrible behavior you can imagine.
In every covenant relationship, there are responsibilities, which have to be undertaken by each party. Therefore, make your home a place of care and love, not a place where you tear down your spouse and children. No man is an island; appreciate the importance of your spouse and children and you will build love from within the family, which flows outward into the society where everyone interacts.

The family unit is where we first learn how to relate with others. We learn love, submission, honour and patience. Another reason why the family exists is to raise godly offspring. Deuteronomy 6:4-9.
Our first role models are found in the family. We need to build our homes and families on God’s word and biblical standards instead of traditional values, information from the clubhouses or fleshly advice.

Look at the society today, the politician that is mopping money meant for the masses started small. Maybe he started with greed on little things like biscuits and sweets. His parents who are in the best position to instill Godly virtues in him could have corrected him in his formative years. Instead however, we have family systems where there is favoritism among the children by their parents. It goes a long way when they are all grown up.
Most parents leave their children at the mercy of house-helps and nannies who commit all sorts of atrocities that get embedded in the children hence corrupting their values.
What is expected of these children when they get into the society?

The values of a family on the long run are the values of the society.

The Pastor gave an example of a man who never said thank you at home whenever his wife served him food and having corrected him on several occasions without change, the wife stopped complaining.
A time came and he had to travel by air. The air hostess as expected was very nice to him and gave him all he requested for. He requested for the usual, food, drink, magazines, blanket and so on and s usual, he didn’t say thank you.
When the air hostess couldn't take it any longer she walked up to him, ‘Excuse me sir. Please learn to always say thank you’. Everyone around watched the drama and you can imagine how embarrassed the man was. He learnt his lesson the hard way and when he got home he reported himself to his wife.Its was a clear case of ‘charity begins at home’.

So many other factors contribute to societal decay, Family is just one of it.
Like I always say, this is just my opinion. Feel free to express yours.

In other news, loadz and loads of gist which I might have to postpone some.
I haven’t posted in a while; I really don’t have any excuse. My mind is always here and my note-taking book is full of ideas, but one way or the other, I just don’t get to write. I need to work on that.

My sugar abstinence wahala;it’s hard keeping it up. I go to the cinemas and the popcorn is winking and winking and winking and still winking at me. It’s so hard to say no, so honestly, maybe taking it in stages was what I should have done initially.
Well I can successfully say I have gotten over the chocolate part of it. I had a real temptation on Saturday and I overcame it. That’s a good one.

Talking of movies I watched ‘Temptation’ Confessions of a Marriage Counsellor. Was pweety good. Ignore the fact that Kim Kardashian starred in it. Awesome is the word! Women and their palava sha;don’t walk into a ditch with your eyes open; Not all that glitters is actually Gold; Being content matters a lot. You might want to watch it. I am doing all the hype because it really was my kinda movie.

CCTV in the office!!!! Just today it was relocated directly behind my desk. Aaaaargh, whatever, I do not care. The observers would soon be tired of watching.

I must mention the reunion I had with the fantastic four a couple of weeks back. Mama, Kfash, KT and of course our God daughter Fiyin,you guys rock!!!!.Looking forward to more of this with more kids around.

New look with my new pair of glasses. I love it!! Not geeky at all. Different look. No offence to Goldie goggles (copy that. LOL).

I need mention B&T. I am so happy. I can only hope for the best to come out of this.

A big thank you to Riki.

New week will definitely be a blessed one for us all By God’s Grace.
Enjoy. 

4 comments:

  1. Great Post :d

    I hunbly take a bow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. goood one , as usual,I always look forward to reading ur post.u are indeed a very good writer.cheers!- ZUBI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As usual na. Its good enuff but i know i can definitely do better. thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete

Talk to me.